We are proud to announce the 3rd edition of our A Science Popularization Contest, open to graduate students : 3 minutes to change the world! This will take place during the 2020 AQPER Annual Symposium on February 5, 2020 at Hôtel Château Laurier Québec.
This contest offers to the finalists:
- a chance to win one of the 3 scholarships offered by Transition énergétique Québec totalling $3,000: 1st prize of $1,500, 2nd prize of $1,000 and 3rd prize of $500;
- a full student ticket for the 2020 AQPER Annual Symposium valued at $150 + taxes;
- a unique opportunity to present their research project to decision makers involved in Quebec’s energy transition;
- an opportunity to publicize their research project to the public.
In addition, finalists residing outside the Quebec City area will receive free accommodation for the night of February 5, 2020.
The Contest final:
In a maximum of 3 minutes, each finalist will have to present their research project related to Quebec’s energy transition:
- in French or English;
- using only a single slide for support (without animation, nor video).
- each presentation will be followed by a short question period;
- the final will be presented in front of an audience and broadcast online;
- the winners will be selected by a jury.
To be eligible, candidates must:
- be able to express themselves clearly in French or English;
- present an original research project related to Quebec’s energy transition;
- be registered as a full-time student in a graduate program for the winter semester 2020 – postdoctoral students are not eligible;
- be available to attend the final at Hôtel Château Laurier Québec on February 5, 2020;
- submit the application form by December 6, 2019, 11:59 p.m.
By applying to the contest, candidates authorize AQPER:
- to use, for promotional purposes, any information or material provided as part of the selection process;
- to broadcast online all visual material taken during the Symposium.
Selection process for the final:
- Selected candidates for the semi-final will be contacted by email by December 16, 2019.
- Semi-finalists will be invited to provide a short video presentation by January 6, 2020 (details on the video content and format will be provided).
- Invitations for the final will be sent to the selected candidates by January 15, 2020.
- Finalists will have to provide a short biography (with picture) and a proof of full-time registration for the winter semester before January 29, 2020.
- The final will take place at Hôtel Château Laurier Québec February 5, 2020. The final will be presented in front of an audience with an online broadcast.
Examples of topics related to the energy transition:
- new technical solutions for renewable energy (wind, solar, biomass, biogas, biofuels, hydro, geothermal, etc.);
- storage, energy management and efficiency;
- the challenges of the energy transition;
- study on the discourse on energy transition and climate change;
- barriers to involvement in the energy transition;
- the role of the media in the energy transition;